An Island to Call Home
Mackinac Island is located on Lake Huron in the Straits of Mackinac, in Mackinac County, east of the Mackinac Bridge. From 1818 to 1882, the City was the county seat of the former Michilimackinac County, which was later organized into Mackinac County with St. Ignace as the county seat.
The City includes all of Mackinac Island except for the state owned property under the jurisdiction of the Mackinac Island State Park Commission and Department of Natural Resources. The City Charter also originally included nearby Round Island which is unpopulated and now federally owned and part of Hiawatha National Forest. The City Charter was passed by the State of Michigan Legislature in 1899 which vacated the Township of Holmes and Village of Mackinac to incorporate the City of Mackinac Island. Many of the City’s actions are through passing of ordinances or resolutions.
Many of the images used on this site are courtesy of “Photo Art by Nancy May”.